Wednesday, September 1, 2010

MockingJay review - not really a spoiler alert



So in 48 hours I was favored with the conclusion of Suzanne Collins's popular teenage-drama trilogy. If you haven't yet read the first two, I would refer you to them before finishing this post...

I do hear that there is talk of putting these on the big screen. After reading this, I think it would be a good idea, if it's done right.

The Hunger Games was a good introductory piece to this series. Then there was Catching Fire, which I thought was going to make me sweat or something, but it left me yearning for some shaved ice. MockingJay was about as good as it could be for a finale.

I think the characters were a little under-valued, except for Katniss of course. The story gets a tiny bit choppy in parts. There was some intrigue, however, and even flashes of intensity in the action. Collins also threw in a few sentimental moments, for the younger-and-perhaps-female fans to enjoy. The conclusion goes from "WHAT?" to "REALLY?" and then settles on "I KNEW IT!" (similar to Harry Potter 7)

My final assessment is: A well-done part 3 that keeps you in until the very last page.
* 4 stars out of 5

3 comments:

Jenna Kae said...

this is a pretty vague review... but i mostly agree with what you do have in there.

Dawson and Jenny Alverson said...

oh man i want it to be a movie so much! But it would probably be pretty intense.. you might have to close you eyes sometimes

my name is john said...

I tried not to ruin it for the unaware peoples

and yes we're definitely talking about a PG-13

* who should direct ???